The Clarke County School District will provide free meals to students during the closure caused by the COVID-19 virus. The district will offer meals for pick up at two school sites as well as neighborhood hubs. Students will receive breakfast and lunch meals. Service will begin Tuesday, March 17.
Meal Service Locations
Meals will be available for pickup between 8 – 10 a.m. at the following locations:
• Hilsman Middle School, 870 Gaines School Rd.
• Oglethorpe Avenue Elementary School, 1150 Oglethorpe Ave.
Meal Delivery Locations
Meals will also be delivered to select neighborhoods via Clarke County School District school bus. The times of the delivery service will be posted on the district website no later than noon on Monday, March 16, at www.clarke.k12.ga.us.
To ensure the safety of all students, the school district requests that the following guidelines be followed:
1. Students must be present to get their meals.
2. At this time, adult meals are not available for purchase.
3. Students must take the entire meal – choices will not be provided.
4. Follow the directions of the meal service monitor. Be patient as a line may develop, but efforts will be made to serve students in a timely and safe fashion.
5. Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
6. Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
7. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
8. Cough or sneeze into an elbow or use a tissue and place immediately in the trash.
Community Meal Service and Resources
The following community partners have provided the CCSD with information about additional services:
• Our Daily Bread will provide a brown bag lunch at noon every day at First Baptist Church of Athens at 355 Pulaski St.
• Food Bank of Northeast Georgia is open and distributing food. Visit foodbanknega.org to find one of their 230 agencies.
• United Way of Northeast Georgia’s 211 Helpline can help connect families to resources. Call 211 from your phone.