top of page

Cooking indoors with propane caused Barrow County explosion and fire that killed 3, injured 3

that

The remains of a trailer in Winder where three people were killed and three others were injured

By Joe Johnson

Cooking indoors with propane gas was to blame for an explosion and fire that killed three people in Barrow County on Saturday, according to the state fire marshal’s Office.

In addition to the fatalities, three people were injured by the blast that tore through the trailer home on Hidden Acres Road in the western part of Winder.

“The explosion occurred when one of the occupants attempted to use propane gas for cooking purposes. The rubber hose connecting the propane tank to a camping burner was leaking the gas, which was then ignited by a wood burning stove on the opposite side of the room,” according to a statement from Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John King.

The primary resident of the trailer was said to be impoverished and he used propane to cook inside the home, which had been without power for over a year.

The identities of the dead and injured have yet to be released by authorities.

941 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page