By Joe Johnson
Fire on Friday damaged a building in southern Athens that houses an apartment and recording studio.
Fire crews responded at about 3:24 p.m. to 2145 S. Milledge Ave. on a resident's report that he had evacuated due to fire and smoke in the building, according to Athens-Clarke County Fire and Emergency Services.
After searching for possible victims, firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze.
The resident told officials that the structure was formerly a radio station and was now a mixed-use building with a recording studio and an apartment.
He was displaced by the fire, and the American Red Cross was notified to assist him in arranging for temporary housing.
The fire began in a storage area and its origin appeared to have been electrical in nature.