top of page

Victim rescued from fire in Athens

At 6:45 p.m. Friday Athens-Clarke County Firefighters were dispatched to Reed Street for a reported structure fire. The first crew arrived at 6:51 p.m. and found smoke showing from a duplex. Firefighters initiated an aggressive fire attack and primary search of the residence. One occupant was located during the primary search and rescued from the structure by Firefighters. She was transported by National EMS to the hospital for smoke inhalation and expected to make a full recovery. The fire was quickly extinguished and confined to the room of origin. Fire investigators believe the fire started from a candle in the bathroom. Fire Chief Scarbrough would like to remind residents about home fire safety. "Incidents like these remind us of the importance of working smoke detectors. Tonight’s event could have been tragic and I am thankful for the men and women who serve our community and their heroic work to save this resident".

156 views0 comments


bottom of page