Fire displaces family in Athens


By Joe Johnson

A family of four was displaced from their home on Lavender Road late Thursday afternoon due to a kitchen fire.

Crews from the Athens-Clarke County Fire and Emergency Services Department were dispatched to the house at 4:23 p.m. on a report the dwelling was on fire, according to interim fire training Capt. Nate Moss.

Upon arrival firefighters saw smoke coming from the rear of the split- level house, and as crews stretched out hose lines, they made contact outside the dwelling with three residents, two children and their father. The mother was at work at the time, Moss said, and they confirmed that nobody was inside.

The crews were able to determine that the fire was still confined to the area of the kitchen and made rapid extinguishment, Moss said. As more personnel arrived on scene, efforts were made to search the home for fire extension in the cabinets above the area of the stove and in the attic and wall spaces.

“All loss was stopped, but the home had sustained some water damage and smoke damage. All fire damage was confined to the kitchen and stove areas,” Moss said.

The residents were checked by fire and National EMS personnel, but none was injured.

After the firefighting efforts were completed, air quality monitors were used to determine when it would be safe to enter the structure, and when it was safe, crews continued cleanup and monitored the temperature of exposed areas, Moss said.

Power was disconnected to the home as a precaution.

The Red Cross was notified to assist the residents as they were displaced due to the smoke damage, the fire officer said.

990 views

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

  • White Facebook Icon
  • Instagram - White Circle

© 2023 by TheHours. Proudly created with Wix.com